100-year anniversary of the Linz New Cathedral 08.04.2024

Special stamp Mariendom

The New Cathedral is an architectural masterpiece and one of Austria's most significant neo-Gothic monuments.

The foundation stone was laid in 1862 by Bishop Franz Joseph Rudigier. The construction, based on the plans of cathedral architect Vincenz Statz, was financed solely through donations. After 62 years of construction, the New Cathedral, also known as the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception, was finally consecrated on 29 April 1924. It is the largest church in Austria by , although St. Stephen's Cathedral in Vienna is about two meters taller. Particularly impressive are the numerous colorful windows in the cathedral, which depict not only religious themes but also scenes from Linz's history and the cathedral's construction. In 2017, the altar area was redesigned, and an elevated altar island was built in front of the historic high altar from 1901. From the top stone balcony of the tower, at a height of 112 meters, one enjoys a wonderful view of the city of Linz.

Series: Churches in Austria
Value: 0.95 euros
First day of issue: 27.04.2024
First day: 4010 Linz
Stamp size: 33.35 x 42.00 mm
Graphic design: Kirsten Lubach
Printing: Joh. Enschedé Stamps B.V.
Printing technique: offset printing
Quantity: 280,000 stamps on sheets of 50 units each